Ntronium Forums
March 30, 2017, 11:36:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armada 2526 : Supernova is Jynks-d (Lets Play)  (Read 2897 times)
VGD

« on: March 14, 2015, 04:22:58 AM »

I think I have caught a bug. A uTube bug. I have had a pretty fun time doing the Horizon Lets Play (that is still in progress) but it is not really my thing to play just one game, I usually play a bunch at a time. So when I felt like playing Armada (one of my fav 4x games) I thought I might do it as a lets play!

Anyway, hope you like it, any thoughts to comments are most welcome!

Armada 2526 : Supernova is Jynks-d

Play List
Ep1: Introduction and Setup
Ep2: Expansion
Ep:3: Expansion 2
Ep4: Military Build Up!
Ep5: Things are looking grim!
Ep6 - Time for war!
more to come

Ep:1 - Introduction
    Video

This is mainly a introduction and game explanation with a few turns at the end. The game actually starts at 38:34. I haven't played for a few years so picked a shorter game of only 600 turn running all 18 races all random including my own race!

Ep:2 - Expansion
    Video

Randomly got given the Volmar Dominion. A race of sentient rocks really with some very powerful economic advantages but some major research gimping. Also they prefer irradiated planets so can expand relatively uncontested though space. They have a population total win condition and some nice bonuses to defense and ground combat.  An unusually combination and I expect this game to go very different to how it normally goes.

Ep:3 - Expansion 2
Video

With the reduction on economic pressure I am able to move pretty fast, though the lack of good planets is causing me some problems. The lack of a "idle" filter for planets and ships is also leading me to miss the timing on a few things. For now I am working on building up my military forces to protect my empire.

Ep4 - Military Build Up!
Video

Cryokon and the Silq are running into the lead at speeds that are astounding. I am not sure I am able to catch them no matter what I do. Hovering around 7-8 / 18 is not very promising. The Silq are close and my only option may be to launch an attack and destroy them outright. I think as I have so much cash I may be able to bribe the other races to all pick on them for a number of turns. A coordinated strike might be the way to go. Meanwhile the mega ark is in production, and once done I plan to start moving out into the region behind me that I am sure has no life and grab a ton of planets quickly and start really pushing my population levels.

Ep5: Things are looking grim!
Video

Things are not looking good. I believe I have been far to passive in this game. I'm hovering around 8-9 in the galaxy while the Silq and the Cryokan are miles in the lead, nearly double my VPs. I've decided that my only real course of action is to start pushing deep into space and start a mass interstellar war. I may not be able to outplay the trader races but I sure as hell can exterminate them. VPs mean nothing when your dead! First I need some key aggressive technology like tanks and wot not. In the meantime while I research this I'll work on colonising more planets.

Ep6 - Time for war!
Video

My mass expansion has produced a high levels of bureaucracy across the empire. Rioting has started on a few planets and I am rushing some entertainment complexes to placate the populous. Meanwhile towards the end of the video I start my campaign to seek out and destroy the Silq homeworld. I have researched the top tier Ark design so can not strike deep into deep space leaving people behind on any location without destroying my main ship. While I wage my war a 2nd fleet is forming with another ark for the express purpose of finding finding new irradiated planets and nutronium sources.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:38:01 PM by VGD » Logged

Are you a freak and like to watch Lets Plays? Then check out my YouTube channel - VideoGameDiary
Martok
Beta Testers

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:23:50 AM »

Nice!  That was fun to watch.  Smiley 
Anguille - The wise Teye
Beta Testers

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 12:14:02 PM »

Excellent! I've already seen you Horizon let's play...didn't know it was you.  Smiley

VGD

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »

Thanks guys! Yeah, Horizon is a pretty neat game imo. Still playing this again really hits home how much I like it!

*** UPDATED ***

The game is not going very well. The Cryokon and the Silq are kicking ass. My win condition is expansion but I think I am expanding very slowly. I hope I can get this under control.. but for now I feel like I am really getting out played.

Also uTube is having a spaz attack about the music in the game, which is a kind of subtle ambient. So I have like about 15 audio claims sent to me on the last two vids, as the ambient sounds are picking up all sorts of stuff like "ocean calm" and other such songs.

Are you a freak and like to watch Lets Plays? Then check out my YouTube channel - VideoGameDiary
Anguille - The wise Teye
Beta Testers

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 03:23:29 AM »

Trade races have a big advantage in big - huge galaxies...very hard to compete against them.

VGD

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 03:38:40 PM »

*** UPDATED ***

uTube has finally released the copywrite claims on my video. It was so stupid. Like over the entire video I had a 7 different claims, most for durations of 2 seconds to 5 seconds. It was because the game uses this cool ambient music so every lame "sounds of the sea" and "relax in the breeze" type new age bollocks was finding a snip it of wind or whale sounds or w/e that they recognised. Even though they were eventually dropped I have decided to just turn off the music, which kinda sucks as the music is awesome.

The game is not going well. I probably should have played a refresher game off camera before booting this up for the first time in about 4 years. I'm not doing very well, and I think I have the turn counter a little low to make a comeback. I may have time, but we will see.

Towards the end of EP5 I start aggressively attacking the Silq as trying to root out their home world seams the only real option to deal with these high VP races. I am around 150 turns of 600 so I have plenty of time left and I think now I have the mother ark I will be able to get to a 2nd era of expansion, this time only to high value planets. I still should be able to grab irradiated relatively unchallenged. Still I have already been hit with bureaucracy problems form fast expanding, so I need to work out a way to deal with this. I might need to trade for some terraforming technology.

Anguille - The wise Teye
Beta Testers

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »

Losing can be interesting as well!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: